Labels

Friday, February 11, 2011

From the desk of Senator David Pearce


 The respect that I feel when I think of the individuals that serve our country is tremendous. That someone will take up the mantle of courage and defend this land and all it represents is no small task. They deserve the utmost respect. While we at home may never be able to fully repay the service they have given us, nor the sacrifices of their families, what we can do is try to ensure that veterans have an improved quality of life when they return. Legislators have an opportunity to do that by creating laws that are beneficial to our state’s servicemen and women.
In my time at the Capitol, I have been honored to help pass legislation valuable to Missouri’s veterans. During the 2010 legislative session alone, my colleagues and I passed a number of measures geared toward recognizing the importance of our active duty, guard, reserve and retired military and their families. One measure streamlines the absentee voting and registration process for Missouri military personnel serving overseas. Already, we have seen the results of this legislation by having 8,692 requests for ballots online from military personnel, including those overseas. Of those, 3,332 total ballots were cast, with 123 military ballots were returned electronically. Another exempts the dependents of retired military members who move to Missouri within one year of retirement from the A+ Schools Program’s three-year attendance requirement.
 Legislation was also passed requiring state and local government entities to give a measured preference to businesses owned by a Missouri-based service-disabled veteran when selecting contractors for any job or service. In addition, the Legislature passed a measure I sponsored that relaxes bingo regulations in our state in an effort to maintain the number of bingo halls. Bingo halls have been slowly disappearing from our state: there were over 900 in 1995 down to just 376 in 2008. Bingo halls are operated by not-for-profit organizations, including veterans groups, that turn most of their proceeds to local charities.
I have been honored during my time serving the 31st Senatorial District to visit the Warrensburg Veterans Home and to have been a part of Missouri’s commitment to its veterans in seeing firsthand the outstanding care taken of our state’s heroes there. It makes me proud that so many volunteers give time and services to help provide wonderful care and support for people who have sacrificed so much for America’s freedom.
 Last week, prior to the blizzard that brought activity in the Capitol to a complete shut down, I was recognized as the “Legislator of the Year” by the Missouri Association of Veterans Organizations, or MAVO. This group represents 22 separate veterans organizations and works toward the common interests and concerns of the many veterans of our state. I want to take this opportunity to thank the wonderful men and women of MAVO for the honor they have given me. I will to continue to work to advance measures that will be beneficial for Missouri’s military personnel, both current and future.
This week, I hosted the Fighting Mules ROTC from the University of Central Missouri here in the Capitol. These young people fill me with a sense of security, knowing that the defense of our country is in capable hands. They visited with both myself and Rep. Denny Hoskins and were announced and recognized in both the Senate and the House. Our office also organized visits with Missouri Supreme Court Justice Patricia Breckenridge and Brigadier General J. Marty Robinson. I would like to thank them for visiting with me and I look forward to the next time I have the occasion to meet with these dedicated young citizens.
 As always, please feel free to contact me or my staff with any questions or concerns at any time. We look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions and trying to answer any questions you may have. You can reach us by phone at 866-277-0882 (toll-free) or 573-751-2272, or by fax at 573-526-7381.
Senator David Pearce serves Bates, Cass, Johnson and Vernon counties in the 31st State Senatorial District.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.